I really like the new appealing, “gray hat” –approach in software security presentations. It is far more interesting to hear first how to hack a system and then how to avoid such an exploit, than to attempt to memorize a long security checklist. After all people are driven by motivation, and not by constraints. That is, in order to really care about security, you first have be aware of the consequences of carelessness.
Here you have a list of those “Gray hat” talks I have seen and can personally guarantee that they are entertaining (and perhaps also useful):
Presentations by Andy Malone
A Journey to the Dark Side of Social Networking:
- NA version: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2013/ATC-B202
- Europe edition: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2013/ATC-B202
- Comment: A nice and depressing talk on social media and the fact that its practically impossible to fully control your virtual identity.
Cybercrime: The 2013 Ultimate Survival Guide
- NA version: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2013/ATC-B306
- Europian version (I’ve seen): http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Europe/NorthAmerica/2013/ATC-B306
- Comment: List of 10 most acute cyber threats.
A list of remaining presentations from Andy Malone: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Speakers/Andy-Malone
Presentations by Paula Januszkiewicz
Hackers (Not) Halted
- NA version: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2013/ATC-B307
- European version (I’ve seen live): http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2013/ATC-B307-R
- Comment: Paula Januszkiewicz demonstrates a nice variety of different hacking techniques. Probably you cannot fully feel how energetic presenter she is from video. If you have change to see her live, you should use the opportunity. Watch this video especially if you are poor and need pants for you dog.
A list of other videos from Paula Januszkiewicz: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Speakers/Paula-Januszkiewicz
By Marcus Murray and Hasain Alshakarti
Live Demonstration: Hacker Tools You Should Know and Worry About
- NA edition (I have seen this a video):
- European version: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Europe/NorthAmerica/2013/ATC-B309
- Comment: Presenters introduces ten commonly used hacking tools with nice punch of sarcasm.
APTs: Cybercrime, Cyber Attacks, Warfare and Threats Exposed
- NA edition: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2013/ATC-B302
- NA edition: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2013/ATC-B302
- Comment: To be honest I saw last year’s version of this talk in Amsterdam, but I presume that they have not changed it much.
A list of other videos by Markus Murray and Hasain Alshakarti: